This is a permanent residence visa for skilled workers, with a job offer in a regional area of Australia.
- A streamlined and simplified pathway to permanent residence for eligible skilled worker (subclass 457) visa holders.
- Permanent residence visa.
- Available to businesses in regional Australia.
- Broad range of eligible occupations.
You might be able to get this visa if you:
- have been nominated by an approved Australian employer for a job in regional Australia (regional Australia does not include the Gold Coast, Brisbane, Newcastle, Sydney, Wollongong or Melbourne)
- are younger than 50 years of age, unless you are exempt
- meet the skills, qualifications and English language requirements, unless you are exempt
- apply under the stream for which you were nominated.
The Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (RSMS) is akin to the Employer Nomination Scheme, designed specifically for employers in regional and low population growth areas in Australia.
To be eligible for a Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme Visa, which is a Australian permanent residency visa, a series of conditions must be met, related to your employer, the position being offered, as well as the visa applicant:
The employer who wants to employ a skilled applicant must:
- be actively and lawfully operating a business in regional Australia.
- demonstrate that it is a financially viable organisation capable of sustaining the employment of its current employees and any sponsored workers for the term of the visa.
- have complied with previous nomination and sponsorship obligations.
- be your direct employer – you cannot be sub-contracted out to another employer
- ensure that you have or can obtain the relevant registrations and licensing for performing the nominated occupation while in Australia.
The position the employer is offering must:
- be full-time and available for at least two years
- is unable to be filled from the local labour market and has undertaken Labour Market Testing (LMT)
- require the appointment of an applicant with qualifications equivalent to at least an Australian diploma
- correspond to a skilled occupation that is listed in the CSOL, the Consolidated Skilled Occupations List
- be certified by a Regional Certifying Body (RCB)
The applicant must:
- be under 50 years of age
- have Functional English, i.e. an overall score of 4.5 on the IELTS test or equivalent
- have an offer of employment from the employer
- demonstrate that you have the required skills (personal, employment experience, educational) for the nominated position
- meet health and character requirements, together with any members of your family