From November 2014, the department will accept English language test scores from the Test of English as a Foreign Language internet-based test (TOEFL iBT) and the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE Academic) across the Temporary Graduate, Skilled, Former Resident and Work and Holiday visa programmes. Scores from the Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE) test will also be accepted from early 2015.
These tests are alternatives to the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) and Occupational English Test (OET), and have been accepted in the Student visa programme since 2011.
Student visa applicants can continue to provide scores from IELTS, OET, TOEFL iBT, PTE Academic or Cambridge English: Advanced (CAE).
The following visa subclasses from the Temporary Graduate, Skilled, Former Resident and Work and Holiday visa programmes will accept a TOEFL iBT or PTE Academic test score as evidence of English ability from November 2014:
• Distinguished Talent (Australian support) (subclass 124)
• Business Talent (subclass 132)
• Former Resident (subclass 151)
• Business Owner (provisional) (subclass 160)*
• Senior Executive (provisional) (subclass 161)*
• Investor (provisional) (subclass 162)*
• State/Territory Sponsored Business Owner (provisional) (subclass 163)*
• State/Territory Sponsored Senior Executive (provisional) (subclass 164)*
• State/Territory Sponsored Investor (provisional) (subclass 165)*
• Employer Nomination Scheme (subclass 186)
• Regional Sponsored Migration Scheme (subclass 187)
• Business Innovation & Investment (provisional) (subclass 188)
• Skilled – Independent (subclass 189)
• Skilled – Nominated (subclass 190)
• Work and Holiday (temporary) (subclass 462)
• Skilled – Recognised Graduate (subclass 476)
• Temporary Graduate (subclass 485)
• Skilled – Regional (provisional) (subclass 489)
• Distinguished Talent (subclass 858)
• Skilled – Regional (subclass 887)
• Business Innovation and Investment (permanent) (subclass 888)
• Business Owner (Residence) (subclass 890)
• Investor (Residence) (subclass 891)
• State/Territory Sponsored Business owner (Residence) (subclass 892)
• State/Territory Sponsored Investor (Residence) (subclass 893)
*Closed to new applications, but family members can apply
Will minimum required test scores for TOEFL iBT and PTE Academic tests be benchmarked against IELTS equivalencies?
From November 2014, TOEFL iBT and PTE Academic test scores will be benchmarked against the IELTS equivalent score for each English language proficiency level (Functional, Vocational, Competent, Proficient or Superior).
A summary of test score equivalencies for all English language tests accepted by the department from November 2014 is available on request.
Please Note: English language requirements for migration skill assessment remains at the direction of the appropriate assessing bodies.